Friday, September 19, 2008

My exciting week

Last weekend, my parents lost their house to Hurricane Ike. For the past week I've had my two youngest brothers and my youngest sister staying in our little apartment with us, as well as one of my good friends from back home. It's been a cramped week! It's been a lot of fun having the kids over, though cooking for seven in my little kitchen has been a challenge.

I checked online today to see if they would be going back to school on Monday, and no real surprise that they wont be. I called Mom to let her know, and to tell her we'd be happy to keep the kids for another week. The more I hear about the house clean up, the less I think there's going to be much of a house for the kids to go back to. Parents bought an RV so the kids would have some place to sleep, but FEMA has confiscated their generator (I guess it's their job to decide which homeless families deserve power?) So I'm pretty pissed about that.

My youngest brother (10) has apparently lost everything. All of his toys, games, clothes, everything in his bedroom had to be thrown away. My Mom lost all of her clothes too, but she doesn't seem as worried about that as with Tanner having nothing. I'm not looking forward to sending him home to that :(

We're taking them all out tomorrow. They've all been really good, and I'd like to do something nice with them. We have some passes to Six Flags, and most of them have never been on a roller coaster, so that should be a lot of fun.

In art related news, I got a DV cable and a tripod today, so I should be able to start work on the dragon painting soon! I imagine it's going to be slow going this week, but it will be good to get back to work again.

2 comments:

rockcreekcreations said...

Is there anything I can do to help? I have a 10yo son and I'm sure he would be willing to send some of toys to Tanner if you would let us!

Email me if we can do this!

Caroline said...

I was in Austin when Ike was on its way to Texas, I however left and came back up to Portland early to be well out of the way.

As I was checking out of my hotel, there were many families trying to get checked in, as they had left there homes behind.

I have been thinking a lot about people impacted by the hurricane, and the loss that people like your family have to deal with.

I hope it all works out in the end, and that there is a home for your family to go back and live.