Monday, February 23, 2009

New painting - work in progress

I've been working on a painting of my little Morrigan le Fae, and I'm really diggin on the results. The idea began as just practice in creating lineart in Photoshop, but I liked the composition so much that I hastily finished sketching it out, printed it, then transferred it to watercolor paper. This is pretty much the same way I do all of my paintings, sketch them out, then use my lightbox to transfer the finished composition onto my watercolor paper, since it prevents me from tearing up an expensive piece of watercolor paper with lots of erasing and redrawing. The only difference is I did my sketch in Photoshop.



This is the reference photo I used, from a trip to Hobby Lobby when I had to use my camera as a pacifier. Morrigan is such a camera ham. The lighting is rotten, but the photo is super cute. I used this as reference for the lineart



This is the lineart in Photoshop. As you can probably tell, I started with the face, then somewhere around the flowers I got excited and quickly finished the sketch so I could paint it.



And here's the painting so far. Her face and her hair are finished. Everything else gets a lot more work. Usually once I've finished everything else I go back to the skin tones for awhile as they tend to look very pale, but since Morrigan is very pale that may not be necessary.

I won't be making prints or anything of this painting, it's all for me! However, after my show next month I plan to start opening slots for custom portraits. If you'd like to have your little one painted as a fairy, elf, mermaid, or maybe you'd like yourself painted as your Role Playing character, or whatever your mind can imagine, let me know so I can update you on the details. Post your E-mail address here, or feel free to send it to me at battlemaidenart (at) yahoo.com. I will only E-mail you once, so no worries about spam!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's adorable!

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

oh my she is delightful! Beautiful work!

Unknown said...

Oh, she is sooooo cute! she definitely makes the perfect little fairy baby and I'm sure she will love having that always! So sweet!

twenty pound tabby said...

The custom painting idea is very tempting.

Did you use a draw pad for some of your original sketch?

Valorie said...

Yes, I used my Wacom Bamboo Fun to draw out the line art. One day I'd love to have the Cintiq, but the Bamboo Fun has been great to work with as well.

Coloraddiction said...

She is just adorable!! I love how you captured her little spirit in the drawing. Lovely!